Crossed



Crossed
Ally Condie
Dutton

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake. Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever

I wasn’t sure I would like this book when I saw that it was divided into both Cassia and Ky’s point of view. I’ve read books like that before, but for whatever reason I just wasn’t sure it would work here. It did work better than I thought (although Cassia and Ky's "voice" wasn't distinct...sometimes I had to remind myself just who was telling the story) and I was still a little bothered that the story was told in first person/present tense- I’m not particularly fond of novels told in present tense.

As I mentioned before, Cassia and Ky’s love story is not really my favorite in the world, and though I suppose I liked them moderately well on their own, I always got either bored or a little annoyed when they were together. For the first half of the book they were separated, but then when they got together again it was like, “romance time” and there were some smooches that just had me skipping. I was more interested in in the Society and the Rising and what was going to happen with that- that’s what kept me reading, not Cassia and Ky’s story.

There was more death in this book, but still not a whole lot of violence. There was one bad word, which was disappointing, especially since the last book didn’t have any language issues. There was some kissing as I mentioned above, and then, of course, Cassia and Ky just kept thinking about how wonderful the other was whenever they were apart (this had me rolling my eyes a little bit. I’m sorry, I just wasn’t a fan of either of them. And I liked Xander better than Ky, anyway)

Again, like the first book, this book started to drag for me after the first half (I did really like the first half, though, where they were trying to survive beyond the borders of the Society) This book did have a its good points, and though I lost interest during the last half, I’ll still be reading the last book just to see how everything turns out.

Rating: 7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This Moment

The Words We Lost

Everything is Just Beginning