Five Glass Slippers

20686206

Five Glass Slippers
Elisabeth Brown, Emma Clifton, Rachel Heffington, Stephanie Ricker, and Clara Diane Thompson
Rooglewood Press

First of all, before I say I anything else, I'm going to go ahead and tell you that I think this is the best novella collection I've ever read. Collections by different authors are always going to get mixed reviews, and while there were some stories I liked more than others, I can honestly say that they all had something to offer that makes each one worth reading.

What Eyes Can See by Elisabeth Brown

Now, I've heard complaints about Cinderella's character in this story, pointing out that she's not overly likable. However, I think it's pretty clear that it's the stepsister Drusilla who's the real heroine of this tale. What Eyes Can See was an interesting twist on the story and sweetly written, although I have to admit *SPOILER* I didn't care for the fact that Drusilla ended up with the prince...I didn't think he really deserved her! *END OF SPOILER*

Broken Glass by Emma Clifton
This is one of the most hilarious takes on the fairy tale that I've ever come across- what if the glass slipper fit on the wrong foot? Taking off right after the immediate events of the prince's ball, this story was filled with great characters, humorous moments, and an ending that makes me hope we'll get a sequel from Emma Clifton sometime soon.

Even though this story was set in a fantasy, fairy-tale world, there was something about it that reminded me- just a bit- of an old black-and-white screwball comedy. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it was to mine, and I loved it!

The Windy Side of Care by Rachel Heffington

Out of all the author's of this collection, the only one I'd heard of previously was Rachel Heffington; not only do I follow her blog, but I also enjoyed her debut novel, Fly Away Home.

The Windy Side of Care was in many ways a classic example of Rachel's writing; however, it was one story I felt really needed to be longer- the novella format was a little rushed, and I found the last half somewhat confusing. I did love the first meeting between our heroine and the prince, though- accidental meetings are always the best! It also had my favorite version of the "fairy godmother" character. :)

A Cinder's Tale by Stephanie Ricker

I wasn't always into Sci-fi...but now that I am, I'm always on the lookout for a good one I'll enjoy. Stephanie Ricker's tale definitely fit the bill. Not only were all the secondary characters so likable I want stories about them all (which we do get- check out the author's Cendrillon Cycle), but I thought Elsa was the version of Cinderella closest to the original's in character.

Though there were one or two spots that dragged for me, the world building was amazing for such a short story, and I definitely want to come back to this fictional place.

The Moon Master's Ball by Clara Diane Thompson

By the last story I was sure I had read all the variations of Cinderella possible. I was never more wrong.

The Moon Master's Ball was incredible. Eerie in the best was possible, the plot was mysterious without being confusing, and though we didn't get quite as much time with the prince character as we did in the other stories, he was definitely the most unusual out of all of them! It reminded me a little bit of The Nutcracker, actually.

So The Moon Master's Ball and Broken Glass were definitely my favorites, with A Cinder's Tale taking a close second. I really hope that Rooglewood Press continues with these contests, because if subsequent ones are anything like Five Glass Slippers, I know I'll read every one.

Overall Rating: 9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This Moment

The Words We Lost

Everything is Just Beginning