The Girl in the Glass


The Girl in the Glass    -     
        By: Susan Meissner

The Girl in the Glass
Susan Meissner
Waterbrook Multnomah

In a startling turn of events, I actually left the library the other day with three contemporary novels and NO historical novels. To my utter surprise and amazement, I ended up enjoying all three; however, I think my favorite was The Girl in the Glass.

Since she was a child, Meg has dreamed of taking a promised trip to Florence, Italy, and being able to finally step into the place captured in a picture at her grandmother’s house. But after her grandmother passes away and it falls to her less-than-reliable father to take her instead, Meg’s long-anticipated travel plans seem permanently on hold.
 
When her dad finally tells Meg to book the trip, she prays that the experience will heal the fissures left on her life by her parents’ divorce. But when Meg arrives in Florence, her father is nowhere to be found, leaving aspiring memoir-writer Sophia Borelli to introduce Meg to the rich beauty of the ancient city. Sofia claims to be one of the last surviving members of the Medici family and that a long-ago Medici princess, Nora Orsini, communicates with her from within the great masterpieces of the Italian Renaissance.
 
When Sophia, Meg, and Nora’s stories intersect, their lives will be indelibly changed as they each answer the question: What if renaissance isn’t just a word? What if that’s what happens when you dare to believe that what is isn’t what has to be?

I thought this book was beautifully written, with three intertwining stories that added, rather than took away, from each other. Like with all of Susan Meissner’s books that I’ve read (The Shape of Mercy, Lady in Waiting, and A Sound Among the Trees), there’s a certain feel about them that I can’t put my finger on or really explain, but reminds me vaguely of a ghost story- I know, that’s a really odd way of putting it, but that’s the only way I can think of describing it. Her books are almost a little….haunting. I'm not really sure what I think about that.

I’m not normally a fan of a modern plot mixed with a historical one, but I liked it here, and I honestly couldn’t put this book down- after I got past the beginning, which I admit was little slow. Also, though this book was clean, there wasn’t a whole lot of a Christian message, which was disappointing. Even with a plot that was only so-so, the actual writing was beautiful and intriguing enough for this book to really hold my interest.

Objectionable content: Meg’s parents got divorced because her Dad had an affair with another woman; there are a few kisses.

Rating: 9

Comments

  1. Sounds like a really good read - thanks for reviewing, Hayden. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In This Moment

The Words We Lost

Everything is Just Beginning