The Dancing Master

18008075

The Dancing Master
Julie Klassen
Bethany House Publishers

Leaving London, dancing master Alec Valcourt moves his mother and sister to remote Devonshire--but is stunned to discover that dancing is prohibited! He finds an unlikely ally in Miss Julia Midwinter, but her questions about his past are becoming harder to evade. Together, can they bring new life to this quiet village--and heal long-kept-secret scars?

...And here comes the first of the Christmas Present book reviews ;) As I'm sure many of you know, I've loved Julie Klassen's books since I read The Apothecary's Daughter when that novel first came out. I received The Silent Governess for Christmas the subsequent year, and ever since then this particular author's books have been expected under the tree every Christmas since.

I was excited for The Dancing Master, and it was different from Julie Klassen's books- mainly because most of it was from the hero's perspective. I did like Alec; he certainly wasn't my favorite hero of all time, but I thought he was likable. Julia, on the other hand...it's not that I hated her. And though she was such a flirt, I felt the reason why she acted that way got across well. However, I think my favorite characters were the secondary ones, especially the Midwinter's neighbors. I really was more interested in them than in Julia and Alec...it was just a little hard for me to figure out why Alec liked Julia in the first place. I will admit the mystery aspect was interesting, and I didn't figure it out until nearly the end.

Though I can't deny I really did enjoy this book, I don't think it lived up to the other books of this author's that I've read. It was enjoyable and I certainly recommend it; it just wasn't the completely spectacular story I had wanted it to be.

Rating: 8 1/2

objectionable content: pretty much on par with the author's other books. Some "regency tactful" explanations of illegitimacy and adultery, and a bit of kissing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This Moment

The Words We Lost

Everything is Just Beginning