Cinder

11235712

Cinder
The Lunar Chronicles, Book 1
Marissa Meyer
MacTeen Books

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future

I’ve seen this book around a lot lately, but I doubt I would have picked it up had it not been for the fact that my last library trip was a bit of a bust and I only got one book; being a little desperate for more than that I picked Cinder up at the last minute- and I’m very glad I did! The story of Cinderella has been retold so many times that it really is hard to find a retelling that’s original. But Cinder was just that- a quirky sci-fi retelling that involved androids, cyborgs, and people living on the moon!

This is a book you’ll probably either love or hate- unlike the other Cinderella retelling I recently reviewed, The Captive Maiden, which was more traditional and girly, Cinder was definitely science fiction. It was grittier and more modern, but still felt like Cinderella. Keep in mind that it doesn’t end with a happily ever after, but on a cliffhanger- leaving you hungry for more. I’m looking forward to reading more of the Lunar Chronicles (I think the third book, Cress, sounds especially interesting, it being a retelling of Rapunzel). Again, this book won’t be for everyone, but I personally enjoyed it quite a bit.

Objectionable content: a few little things here and there; the worst of it being about five uses of the words H*** and D*** There is a kiss. I would recommend this for 15+


Rating: 8 ½ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This Moment

The Words We Lost

Everything is Just Beginning