Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Guardian Duke



The Guardian Duke
Jamie Carie
B&H

Gabriel, the Duke of St. Easton, is ordered by the King to take guardianship over Lady Alexandria Featherstone whose parents are presumed dead after failing to return from a high profile treasure hunt. But Alexandria ignores this royal reassignment, believing her parents are still alive and duly following clues that may lead to their whereabouts. Gabriel, pressured by what are actually the King's ulterior motives, pursues her across windswept England and the rolling green hills of Ireland but is always one step behind. When they do meet, the search for earthly treasure will pale in comparison to what God has planned for both of them.

I’ve never before read anything by Jamie Carie, although I am familiar with her name and books due to my frequency on Christianbook.com. I saw that this one got high ratings (plus I like the cover), so when I saw it was available on Netgalley, I decided to try it.

I think the strength of this book is that it wasn’t “typical.” There were a lot of little quirks and things that kept the story fresh and original. All the same, there were a few things that just didn’t “work” for me. First of all, though I really enjoyed all of the letters between Alexandra and Gabriel, I didn’t get why she kept trying to elude him. He was on her side, after all!

My favorite character was definitely Montague, although I liked Baylor also. Though the storyline is definitely unusual, if you know coming into this book that it’s more of an adventure story than a formal Regency, you’ll probably enjoy it.

I’m happy to say, the book didn’t really have any objectionable content that I can remember. (However, I had read reviews of the second and third books, and so apparently there is some objectionable stuff in there, which is sad because this book ends on a cliffhanger…so you’re probably going to want to read the next books, although I admit I'm not sure if I myself will.)

Rating: 7

I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...