So Shines The Night



So Shines the Night
Tracy L. Higley
Thomas Nelson

On an island teetering at the brink of anarchy, Daria finds hope among people of The Way.
She escaped a past of danger and found respite in beautiful Ephesus, a trading center on the Aegean coast, serving as tutor to Lucas, the wealthy merchant who rescued her.
But the darkness she fled has caught up with her.
The high priests of Artemis once controlled the city, but a group of sorcerers are gaining power. And a strange group who call themselves followers of The Way further threaten the equilibrium. As Daria investigates Lucas’s exploits into the darker side of the city, her life is endangered, and she takes refuge in the strange group of believers. She’s drawn to Paul and his friends, even as she wrestles with their teachings.
When authorities imprison Lucas for a brutal crime, Daria wonders if even Paul’s God can save him. Then she uncovers a shocking secret that could change everything—Lucas’s fate, her position in his household, and the outcome of the tension between pagans and Christians. But only if she survives long enough to divulge what she knows.
Though this book had some very sinister undertones from dealing with all the sorcery that plagued Ephesus, I never felt that it got too dark. Of all of Tracy Higley’s books that I’ve read, this included the most Biblical figures, including Paul, Timothy, Aquila, and Priscilla. Though I wasn’t totally interested for the first few chapters, it got exciting in the last half, and I couldn’t put it down! The author states that despite being set in such a different time, she was inspired by Jane Eyre and other classic Gothic novels (and there was one scene that totally reminded me of Beauty and the Beast!), which I thought was interesting.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, probably more than her last book Isle of Shadows. I’ve really enjoyed reading Tracy Higley’s books, and I look forward to reading more of them in the future!

Objectionable content: there are about three kisses; most of the content that might be disturbing involves murders and the influence of sorcerers.

Rating: 8

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

  1. Hi Hayden! I was wondering how you get these books for free a lot of the time? I do book reviews on my blog too, and want to know how to get free copies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, Hannah! There are several sites that offer books for free for review.I use booksneeze.com, the tyndale blog network, Blogging for Books (from Waterbrook/Multnomah) and then Bethany House's book review site. If you google any one of these, something should come up (I don't remember their exact web addresses) Also, I recently found netgalley.com, which offers free ebooks. I don't like ebooks, but I caved a little when I found this site, because they have such a good selection! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

Missing

An Elegant Façade