The Fairest Beauty



The Fairest Beauty
Melanie Dickerson
Zondervan

A daring rescue. A difficult choice. Sophie desperately wants to get away from her stepmother's jealousy, and believes escape is her only chance to be happy. Then a young man named Gabe arrives from Hagenheim Castle, claiming she is betrothed to his older brother, and everything twists upside down. This could be Sophie's one chance at freedom---but can she trust another person to keep her safe? Gabe defied his parents Rose and Wilhelm by going to find Sophie, and now he believes they had a right to worry: the girl's inner and outer beauty has enchanted him. Though romance is impossible---she is his brother's future wife, and Gabe himself is betrothed to someone else---he promises himself he will see the mission through, no matter what. When the pair flee to the Cottage of the Seven, they find help---but also find their feelings for each other have grown. Now both must not only protect each other from the dangers around them---they must also protect their hearts.

Another Melanie Dickerson book!!! {insert squeal} I love fairy tales. I do. And I love Christian books- but it’s not often those two genres collide. But every once in a while, they do.

And that is cause for celebration.

The Fairest Beauty is (aptly titled) a re-telling of Snow White. I liked it. Not as much as the other two books in this “series”, but very much. My favorite, favorite, bits were where Sophie and Gabe visited the Cottage of the Seven. Mrs. Dickerson’s take on the seven dwarfs was great- I only wish the seven of them were in the book even more!

The only thing I didn’t like so much about this book was the romance part, mainly because I felt Gabe was making excuses for liking Sophie when he knew she was engaged to his brother. Yes, he fought against his feelings at first, but when he realized he was in love with her, he just kind of threw everything out the window and pursued her. Also, there was a lot more kissing in this book than either of the other two. It wasn't "descriptive" kissing, but it was...kind of a lot- so much so that my sister and I were just like, "really?" So that bothered me. But, on the plus side, this had a bit more action than The Healer’s Apprentice and The Merchant’s Daughter.

I think there’s some perverse reading gene that always makes me interested in secondary characters more than the main ones, because as soon as the reader was introduced to Valten, I wanted to know more about him, and I’m SO happy that Melanie Dickerson’s next fairy tale retelling is about him! I really enjoyed this book, and I’m dearly looking forward to the Cinderella retelling that is set to release sometime this fall!

Rating: 8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

Missing

An Elegant Façade