At Every Turn

At Every Turn
Anne Mateer
Bethany House

Because I really enjoyed Anne Mateer’s last book, Wings of a Dream, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one.

At Every Turn begins with spunky Alyce Bensen impetuously pledging $3,000 to help with mission work in Africa. She’s certain her wealthy father will agree to give her the money- after all, even if he isn’t a Christian like herself, he never minded giving to her mother’s various charities. But when he astounds her with his firm "no" she decides there’s got be some way for her to earn enough money for the mission. When an outrageous idea comes to her –participating in an auto race- to earn money, she jumps at it with the help of her father’s mechanic, Webster. But as her lies and deception pile on top of each other, she becomes unsure of who to trust or what to do!

Some of this book did seem a teeny bit farfetched, and a few things wrapped into tidy bows a leetle too well, but that didn’t make At Every Turn any less fun to read. My favorite part was probably how Alyce kept raising money and then giving it away- that part made me smile. I also really liked how the book really focused on God- it wasn’t just an "okay, I mentioned God once here so now this is a piece of Christian fiction". God was really important to Alyce, and He was important to the story as well. That was really nice. Though I don’t think I liked this one as much as Wings of a Dream, it was a worthwhile read and I can’t wait for whatever books the author is going to present us with in the future!

Rating: 8

Objectionable content: A man tries to force himself on a woman (he is stopped) and there is a kiss.

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Elegant Façade

To Follow Her Heart

Conspiracy of Silence