Over The Edge



Over The Edge
Mary Connealy
Bethany House Publishers

Seth Kincaid Remembers Almost Everything…except getting married!

Seth Kincaid survived a fire in a cave, but he hasn’t been the same since. Then he fought in the Civil War and returned to Colorado crazier than ever.

Somewhere along the line, it appears Seth got married. Oh, he has a lot of excuses, but his wife isn’t too happy to find out Seth doesn’t remember her. Callie isn’t a long-suffering woman. When Seth disappeared, she searched, prayed, and worried. Now she’s come out West to wrangle her long-lost husband.

Seth is willing to make amends. Callie is more interested in shooting him. Can they rekindle their love before one of them goes over the edge?

So this back description of Over the Edge kind of sounds like my writing after a long day when I’m in a sarcastic frame of mind, so I had quite a smile on my face when I opened this book (even if I’m not crazy about its cover- aside from the awesome fonts. Yes, I’m shallow.) I have a vague memory of reading a book by this author several years ago. I don’t remember much about it, other than the fact it made me laugh. When I saw this book available for review, I figured it would be enjoyable, even if I hadn’t read the first two books in the series. Normally, it’s usually not that hard to catch up on what’s gone on before, especially if you look up a short synopsis of the other books online.

Yeah. Not really. I was so lost for the first few several chapters of this book. I highly recommend reading the first two books first. Why doesn’t Seth remember Callie? What’s the deal with this mysterious cavern? Who’s this Jasper villain guy?

I figured it out, eventually. And I admit this book had some terribly funny turns of phrase that the author is great at. Still, there were things that fell a little flat for me. It didn’t really feel for the characters. Really, I think this would actually make a better movie than book. Except…ahem…for the mushy parts. (can you see my middle-schooler shiver? I always feel like a kid complaining about cooties when I say "mushy". But hey, that’s what it is, right?) Now, the characters were married, and it wasn’t as though the scenes were immoral, just…uncomfortable. Like I’m feeling right now writing about it. Let’s just say I skipped a few parts. okay...A lot of parts.

Ahem. Moving on.

I was a little apprehensive of whether or not I would like Callie, because sometimes "strong" heroines just come off as annoying, but I found her better than most. Seth was…interesting. You don’t often come across heroes who are a little nuts. I was having Jack Sparrow flashbacks. (Okay, okay, that’s an exaggeration. He wasn’t really that crazy.) Actually, I was a little worried at first, because Seth was acting oddly. But he won me over eventually.

Also, both my sister (who read the first few chapters) and I noticed that the writing seemed choppy in places, and as Emily noted, "it just doesn’t seem edited enough."

I think my main problem with this book was that it seemed unsure whether to be silly or sincere. After reading the back, I guess I kind of wanted something face-paced and laugh-out-loud funny. Sometimes it approached this and made me smile, but it never really made me laugh. I guess that describes my reaction to this book it general: I liked it, but not enough.

Objectionable content: There were numerous kisses, and the book opens with an attempted stagecoach robbery which involves a lot of shooting and guns and all that jazz.

Rating: 6

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

An Elegant Façade

Missing