Love in Disguise


Love in Disguise
Carol Cox
Bathany House Publishers

     Unemployed with nowhere to go, Ellie Moore jumps at a chance with a job with the Pinkerton Detective Agency. Leaving snowy Chicago behind, she travels to sunny Arizona to solve the reoccurring theft of silver shipments. Putting her acting and dressmaking skills to good use, she masquerades as a middle-aged widow named Lavinia Stewart. But when her expected sleuthing partner bails out, Ellie finds herself juggling two roles- now in addition to her first disguise, she must go about town as Mrs. Stewart’s dazzling and energetic niece, Jessie Monroe! Beautiful Jessie attracts several of the men in town, including mine owner Steven Pierce. As Ellie’s identities and lies mount, she feels as though she has lost her chance at faith and love. What will Steven do when he realizes the woman he loves doesn’t really exist?

     I have mixed feelings about this book, because though despite the exciting plotline, I did feel that in several places it lost my interest. However, overall, I had enough interest to keep reading despite so. I did enjoy Ellie’s transformations into her two roles, especially the way she practiced acting like each of them! Once character I really liked was the neighbor boy, Billy. My, did he crack me up!

     I liked the detective/Pinkerton aspect to this story- it fascinated me. The only thing I found truly lacking was the romance. I’m not sure why, but even though I was glad that Ellie and Steven got together at the end, I just didn’t care about their relationship as much as I wished I did. I did greatly appreciate Steven’s forgiving nature in regards to Ellie’s deception, though!

     Overall, this read was pleasant, and I must admit that I did not discover the culprit until he was revealed! This book is a definite "must" for readers who enjoy mysteries and tales of secret identities.

Objectionable content: There were some "situations of peril", but nothing that really bothered me. There was one kiss.

Rating: 8

(for some reason I feel like I’m always giving books an "8". Do I give most books an "8"?)

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Elegant Façade

To Follow Her Heart

Conspiracy of Silence