Bees in the Butterfly Garden





Bees in the Butterfly Garden
Maureen Lang
Tyndale

Raised in an exclusive boarding school among Fifth Avenue’s finest, Meg Davenport has all she’s ever needed . . . but none of the things she’s wanted most, like family, or dreams of a future that includes anything other than finding a suitable match. So when her distant father dies, she seizes the chance to throw etiquette aside and do as she pleases. Especially when she learns that John Davenport wasn’t the wealthy businessman she thought, but one of the Gilded Age’s most talented thieves.

Poised to lead those loyal to Meg’s father, Ian Maguire knows the last thing his mentor would have wanted is for his beloved daughter to follow in his footsteps. Yet Meg is determined, and her connections to one of New York’s wealthiest families could help Ian pull off his biggest heist yet. But are they both in over their heads? And in trying to gain everything, will they end up losing it all?

What first attracted me to Bees in the Butterfly Garden was that the plot seemed different from a lot of the historical Christian fiction out there; it intrigued me. A book about Victorian-era thieves? That was something I’d not often come across!

Sometimes, I admit, Meg did annoy me. In some ways I understood her reasoning, but so many times I wanted to yell at her for being so stubborn. "Listen to Kate!" I wanted to scream. "Listen to Ian! Listen to Claire!" Not that I disliked her, really. I just get frustrated with stubborn people.

I ended up loving the Pembrooke family to pieces. Sometimes I wanted to shake Evie for being such a troublemaker, but I loved Nelson and Claire. I’m especially happy to find this is the first book in a series; I really hope that the next book will include them!

At first, I was anxious about how this book was going to end. Of course, I guessed that Ian and Meg would reform- what kind of Christian message would that send if the main characters didn’t give up their thieving way of life?- but I was kind of worried that they would go straight without a real "confession" of what they’d done (or were going to do!). I needn’t have bothered. I was quite satisfied with how everything turned out. I admit, though, that I was never exactly sure about Kate, because of the lies she told while confessing to be a Christian. Granted *SPOILER* she did confess at the end*END OF SPOILER* and she was still a rather new Christian, but it still bothered me a little.

Bees in the Butterfly Garden was a much different setting than the Great War series (the other books that I’ve read by Maureen Lang). So, how does it compare? Very well. I’m not sure that I liked it better than Look to the East, but I do think it was just as good as Whisper on the Wind. Many times it reminded me of the last book in the Great War series, Springtime of the Spirit, which I didn’t much care for. However, I felt that Bees in the Butterfly Garden had better characters and though sometimes I felt the story moved a little slow, I overall really enjoyed this book.

Objectionable content: There were about three kisses, I believe. One character got attacked and beat up pretty badly, but there was nothing graphic.

Rating: 8

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

Missing

An Elegant Façade