Skip Rock Shallows


Skip Rock Shallows
Jan Watson
Tyndale House

     Lilly Gray Corbett has just graduated from medical school and decided to accept an internship in the coal camp of Skip Rock, Kentucky. Her beau, Paul, is doing his residency in Boston and can't understand why Lilly would choose to work in a backwater town. But having grown up in the mountains, Lilly is drawn to the stubborn, superstitious people she encounters in Skip Rock-a town where people live hard and die harder and where women know their place. Lilly soon learns she has a lot to overcome, but after saving the life of a young miner, she begins to earn the residents' trust.
     As Lilly becomes torn between joining Paul in Boston and her love for the people of Skip Rock, she crosses paths with a handsome miner-one who seems oddly familiar. Her attraction for him grows, even as she wrestles with her feelings and wonders what he's hiding.

     I have never read anything by Jan Watson before, but she's has received some very good reviews, so I was quite curious about her writing. However, I was disappointed. Not in the author's writing, because I think she is talented, but simply how feministic I found this book. I'm really tired of period heroines who pursue a career and are shocked when people don't accept their jobs as God's "calling" on their life. There was one point in the book that super annoyed me- Lilly was offended at the way the wife in the home she was staying in was serving her husband. Come on people : the woman was fixing him breakfast before she herself ate. Yet Lilly was "shocked" that this man was treating his wife like a "slave". (Also, this man was not some overbearing man who treated women like dirt; he was a very kind, godly man that Lilly otherwise admired. She was just disappointed in the way he viewed women.)
     Anyway, the main story just bugged me. It did have it's good points- the hero was likable and I did enjoy some of Lilly's misadventures meeting people in the town (and the characters of Ned and Armina totally cracked me up) but that didn't change the fact that sometimes this book downright offended me. Although, I must admit after reading the book description, I should have known that a story about a woman doctor would have been at least a little feministic no matter what!

I received this book for free from Tyndale in exchange for my honest review.

Rating: 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

An Elegant Façade

Missing