Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Bride Wore Blue


The Bride Wore Blue
Mona Hodgeson
Waterbrook

Back east in Portland, Maine, Vivian Sinclair made a bad choice that follows her to Cripple Creek, Colorado, where her sisters have found husbands and made a home. The shame she carries with her is powerful and she struggles to accept forgiveness from the Lord. Vivian sees limited choices for her future...and marriage isn't one of them.
When most employers find Vivian unworthy as well, she is forced to accept a hostess job at a prestigious sporting parlor. Her decision appears to work out well until an outlaw shows up, violence breaks out and a death occurs. Vivian could be next, so she flees into the night only to be captured by the dangerous outlaw. Will the sheriff's deputy find Vivian? When he discovers her true identity, will he be able to forgive her secrets and lies?

     I admit that I did not read the book description before agreeing to review this book (Our computer had a virus, so it was making it very difficult to read certain sites). When I received the book, I really wasn't sure about it because from the blurb on the back of the book I didn't know exactly how...clean...it would be. Thankfully, though the plotline is such that I wouldn't recommend this to younger readers, there wasn't anything explicit or inappropriate in this book. Still, it did make me rather uncomfortable at times, knowing that Vivian was working in, well, a brothel- even if she was only serving drinks.
     This is a third book in a series, and I haven't read the other books. Even so I wasn't confused, though I think it would be a good idea to read the other two books before trying this one, simply because I think you would get to know the characters better. In this book...I just didn't really care a whole lot for the characters. Sometimes Vivian downright annoyed me for being so hardheaded, and the romance I felt was a little wanting. It was kind of like the two characters met...and then they meet again and they were falling in love. There just didn't seem to be a process to their relationship. All of a sudden it just...was.
     Anyway, this book wasn't horrible...but I just didn't care for it.

Rating: 6

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...