Garden of Madness


Garden of Madness
Tracy L. Higley
Thomas Nelson


The Untold Story of King Nebuchadnezzar’s Daughter.
For seven years the Babylonian princess Tiamat has waited for the mad king Nebuchadnezzar to return to his family and to his kingdom. Driven from his throne to live as a beast, he prowls his luxurious Hanging Gardens, secreted away from the world.
Since her treaty marriage at a young age, Tia has lived an indulgent palace life. But when her husband dies and a nobleman is found murdered in the palace, Tia must discover who is responsible for the macabre death, even if her own newfound freedom is threatened.
As the queen plans to wed Tia to yet another prince, the powerful mage Shadir plots to expose the family’s secret and set his own man on the throne. Tia enlists the help of a reluctant Jewish captive, her late husband’s brother Pedaiah, who challenges her notions of the gods even as he opens her heart to both truth and love.
In a time when few gave their hearts to Yahweh, one woman must decide if she is willing to risk everything—her possessions, her gods, and her very life—for the Israelite’s one God. Madness, sorcery and sinister plots mingle like an alchemist’s deadly potion, and Tia must dare to risk all – to save the kingdom, and to save herself.
I normally stay away from Biblical fiction, simply because I hate it when people change things about the Bible (it's "fiction", after all!) but I decided to try this one- I figured, since it wasn't actually about a Biblical character, it couldn't really offend me, right?
I was surprised how much I really enjoyed this book. It captured my attention from the very beginning, and it held my interest the entire book. And I actually liked the portrayals of the Bible characters who are included- King Nebuchadnezzar (obviously) and Daniel. Though from the beginning I had a pretty good idea who the culprit was, this book still had some twists and turns that I didn't see coming. I don't read many books set in the BC time period, so I wasn't sure how I would like this setting, but I greatly enjoyed learning new things about this point in history. The book wasn't exactly a light read; I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers. However, for high-schoolers it is not only an interesting, fast-paced story, but a history lesson about Ancient Babylon. 
Rating: 9

Objectionable content: This book, in accordance with Babylon's culture, has much of the worship of false gods that we read about in the Bible. A man is brutally murdered; we find later in the book a certain character had been the victim of rape. There is one kiss.
received this book for free from Booksneeze.com in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Elegant Façade

To Follow Her Heart

Conspiracy of Silence