Thursday, March 8, 2012

Almost Amish


Almost Amish
Nancy Sleeth
Tyndale

     Have you ever stopped to think, Maybe the Amish are on to something? Look around. We tweet while we drive, we talk while we text, and we surf the Internet until we fall asleep. We are essentially plugged in and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

     Rather than mastering technology, we have allowed technology to master us. We are an exhausted nation. No one has enough time, everyone feels stressed out, and our kids spend more hours staring at a screen each week than they do playing outside. 

     It’s time to simplify our lives, make faith and family the focal point, and recapture the lost art of simple living. Building on the basic principles of Amish life, Nancy Sleeth shows readers how making conscious choices to limit (and in some cases eliminate) technology’s hold on our lives and getting back to basics can help us lead calmer, more focused, less harried lives that result in stronger, deeper relationships with our families, friends, and God.


This was a really cool book that had a lot of practical ideas for simplifying life. The author is very earth-conscious, so many of her ideas had to do with eco-friendly ideas. Though I didn't quite agree with everything she wrote, I thought this book had a lot of good ideas. I also really liked the author's writing style- and I love the fact that she included recipes in the back! This was a book I didn't think I would enjoy very much simply because I don't usually read non-fiction for fun, but I was surprised at how interesting it was!

Rating: 8

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. 

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I'm very impressed. I have added your button to my side bar. My daughter is in the 6th grade, but she reads at a much higher level. Given the social climate in which we live, it is very difficult to find books that are engaging without all the extra garbage. This site is just what she needs. Thank you.

    Sincerely,
    ~Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Riya: Thank you so much! Encouragement is always appreciated, and I'm glad if I can help anyone!

    God Bless,
    Hayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayden--
      Thank you so much for your positive review! Keep up the good work!
      Blessings,
      Nancy Sleeth

      P.S. I love that you're profile picture is of Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma...my daughter's name is Emma (she wrote a book for teens called It's Easy Being Green that you might enjoy, too).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...