Wonderland Creek

Wonderland Creek
Lynn Austin
Bethany House Publishers

     Alice Grace Ripley lives in a dream world, her nose stuck in a book. But the happily-ever-after life she's planned on suddenly falls apart when her boyfriend, Gordon, breaks up with her, accusing her of living in a world of fiction instead of the real world. Then to top it off, Alice loses her beloved job at the library because of cutbacks due to the Great Depression.
     Fleeing small-town gossip, Alice heads to the mountains of eastern Kentucky to deliver five boxes of donated books to a library in the tiny coal-mining village of Acorn. Dropped off by her relatives, Alice volunteers to stay for two weeks to help the librarian, Leslie McDougal.

     I was actually very excited for this book, probably because my dream job since I was eight was to be a librarian (among other things). There were many good things about this book, but there were also some things I didn't like.

     The thing that really bothered me about this book was the kissing content (if I have a problem with a book, it usually involves kissing. That's just the way it goes). The thing was, the kissing wasn't really...I don't know...mushy? And  I can be pretty forgiving when it comes to kissing if it's between characters who are married, or even going to be married. But Alice kissed a man she wasn't at all serious about and knew she would never marry. I believe that kisses should be saved for your spouse, so I had a major problem with this.

     This book did have its good points. In fact, aside from the kissing, I really liked it. In some ways it reminded me a lot of Christy. It had good action in it, and Mac made me smile. A lot. Alice got a little on my nerves sometimes, although many times her experiences reminded me of myself. Like the time she caught the kitchen curtains on fire because she was trying to fry chicken and read a book at the same time....

Not that I've ever done that, exactly. But I have burned...a few...dishes... by by trying to read while cooking.

Rating: 8

Problematic content: There are four kisses in this book. A man is shot.

Comments

  1. Oh. My. Soul. I so want to read this book! I already feel that I can relate to Alice. And I have totally made mistakes in the kitchen by trying to read when I should have been flipping omelets over or some such thing. Once I wasn't actually reading... I was just in lala land thinking about stuff and I just calmly started the stove when there was a towel on it. Nothing like a little kitchen fire to make a day exciting! hahaha Anyhow... I guess this is another case of "don't judge a book by it's cover" because I honestly am not attracted to the front picture! =P **dashes off to find book**

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

Missing

An Elegant Façade