Friday, December 30, 2011

The Accidental Bride

The Accidental Bride
Denise Hunter
Thomas Nelson



When a wedding reenactment turns real, this cowgirl suddenly finds she’s an accidental bride.
Shay Brandenberger is raising her daughter in Moose Creek, Montana on her childhood ranch, nestled against the Yellowstone River. Despite her hard work, she can’t seem to keep her head above water—and now the bank is threatening to foreclose. She prays for a miracle, but the answer she receives is anything but.
Having agreed to play the bride in the Founders Day wedding reenactment, Shay is mortified to be greeted at the end of the aisle by none other than Travis McCoy, her high school sweetheart—the man who left her high and dry for fame and fortune on the Texas rodeo circuit.
Then the unthinkable happens. Thanks to a well-meaning busy body and an absent minded preacher, the wedding reenactment results in a legal marriage. But before Shay can say annulment, Travis comes up with a crazy proposal. If she refuses his offer, she’ll lose her home. But if she accepts, she may lose her heart.
Shay isn’t sure if the recent events are God’s will or just a preacher’s blunder. Will trusting her heart to the man who once shattered it be the worst mistake of her life? Or could their marriage be the best accident that ever happened?

      I must admit I didn't have much interest in this book in the first place, just because it's not normally the genre I enjoy. Even so, I think if I had been interested, this book still would have been disappointing. I really hate writing critical reviews, but I didn't like this book much at all.
     Mostly I felt this way because I just didn't like the main character. Shay really rubbed me the wrong way. It just felt like she was either complaining or feeling sorry for herself the entire time! Her stubbornness was also annoying, and though some might see her extreme independence as a virtue, I most certainly did not. Yes, Travis had been thoughtless and uncaring to her (I mean, really, leaving a girl at the alter -er, courthouse steps- is no small deal) but here he was bending over backwards to make it right and show he'd changed, and all she could do was growl at him anytime he tried to do something kind.
     There were also several "mushy" parts that I skipped over. Through the characters' flashbacks, we learn that Shay and Travis's previous relationship involved a whole lot of kissing ( Am I the only one who would like to find a contemporary novel in which the characters save their first kiss for marriage?!) I found that though the characters really did seem to believe in the Lord, I didn't agree with a lot of their views and/or decisions. I really don't want to sound judgmental, but this book just seemed too "worldly" for me, and I barely finished it.

Rating: 3

I received this book for free from Booksneeze.com in exchange for my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Hayden!
    I really enjoyed your blog and the stance you take on your reviews! Good for you, and keep up the good work!
    I wanted to drop you a note and let you know about a book give away I am running on my blog 'till the 15th; I hoped you might like to let your readership know about it. The details are here, ekaiserwritesablog.blogspot.com
    We have about 20 entries now, and if we get 30 we'll be giving two copies away.
    Thanks so much for your consideration!
    Elizabeth Kaiser

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just read this book and agree with your review, glad I am not the only one to see things this way.

    I would love you to review some of my books if you are interested, here are my titles http://kingsdaughters21.blogspot.com/p/books.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...