Wings of a Dream


Wings of a Dream
Anne Mateer
Bethany House Publishers

Debut Author Delivers Sweet, Heartwarming Historical Fiction

     Rebekah Hendricks dreams of a life far beyond her family's farm in Oklahoma, and when dashing aviator Arthur Samson promises adventure in the big city, she is quick to believe he's the man she's meant to marry.
While she waits for the end of the Great War and Arthur's return, her mother's sister falls ill. Rebekah seizes the opportunity to travel to Texas to care for Aunt Adabelle, sure that her glamorous and exciting life is about to start.

     But the Spanish flu epidemic changes everything. Faced with her aunt's sickness, Arthur's indecisiveness, and four children who have no one else to care for them, Rebekah discovers she must choose between her desire to escape the type of life she's always led and the unexpected love that just might change the dream of her heart.


     There aren't many books surrounding the Spanish Flu epidemic during the Great War. In fact, this may be the only book I've ever read that does. I really, really, liked Wings of a Dream. The characters were wonderful, and I liked the fact that it wasn't just a "romance" book. I loved the way Rebekah's veiwpoint and aspirations did a total turnaround. The kids were so sweet and I found it easy to see why Rebekah fell in love with them!
     What I think I like most about this book was the fact that the storyline was inspired by author Anne Mateer's own personal family history. Being a bit of a genealogy nut, I really appreciated that. :)
     It's hard when you try a new author- you never really know what you're going to get. But Wings of a Dream was a sweet, hopeful story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Recommended!

Rating: 9

I received this book for free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

Missing

An Elegant Façade