The Women of Catawba

The Women of Catawba/a Novel

The Women of Catawba
by Hilda Stahl
Thomas Nelson

     From the author of the White Pines Chronicles comes an exciting tale of five courageous women and their fight to build a plantation home in the raw wilderness of South Carolina. Set in post-Revolutionary War days, Women of Catawba is an inspiring story of men and women whose faith, 
strength, and capacity to love are tested to the limit


     This was one of those last minute library grabs (you know, where your dad is right behind you saying, "it's time to go...") I felt bad with only four books in my library pile ( I usually get, like, ten), saw the "Christian Fiction" label on the side of this book, and swooped it up without really knowing what it was about.
     This time, my spontaneous pick really paid off: The Women of Catawba turned out to be the favorite of all the books I'd picked. What I really liked about this book was its larger-than-average cast of characters. This wasn't just one romance story; in fact, it was much more than simply "romance". It wasn't confusing, either, despite the many characters. Plus, it took place in my home state. I don't find a lot of books (fiction-wise) that do, and so I always get ridiculously excited when I find a novel that takes place in South Carolina.
     The only problem I did have with this book was that many the characters' names sounded too modern. I just have a hard time imagining an 18th century woman named Taylor. Maybe there were women by that name back then, but combined with other characters by the names of Brooke, Kendra, and Laurel...well, I found it slightly too 20th century.
    Other than that, I really enjoyed this book. The characters were believable, as were their struggles of yearning to be loved and appreciated for who they were. Oooh! and so now looking up a picture of this book for this post I found out that though this was Hilda Stahl's last book before she died, her daughter wrote a sequel to it. It does seem like a book that needed a sequel (before I found out about this being the author's last book I thought it was a series) so I really want to check it out! The sequel is The Winds of Catawba.

Rating: 10

Comments

  1. I have never read this book but your book reports are good. Come on over and see waht books I am reading on my side of my blog:) Do follow me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

Missing

An Elegant Façade