The Harvest of Grace


The Harvest of Grace
Cindy Woodsmall

     When Sylvia Fischer turned down her beau's offer of marriage, she expected him to give her the time and space she'd requested, believing they would eventually wed. .Instead he married her sister. When she learns that his betrayal was her father's idea--a proposition made to save the farm--she knows she'll never trust another man.
     Despite the secrets hiding in Aaron Blank's youth, he thinks he's ready to face his future. As he sets out to make up for the wrongs he's done to his family, he meets Sylvia, the new farmhand from a nearby district. She doesn't want him around, seems to have his father's heart in the palm of her hand--and what she knows could ruin his future.

     Though I've read Amish fiction from Beverly Lewis and one or two of Wanda E. Brunsetter's Amish books, I had never read any from Cindy Woodsmall. The Harvest of Grace is the third in the Ada's House of Hope series, and I enjoyed it.
     I can't remember the last book I read that I enjoyed a relationship as much as Sylvia and Aaron's. Their hilarious conversations- from their first meeting onward- coaxed smiles from my face and even a giggle or two may have escaped my lips. I was almost always impatient when the scene switched to the other characters, because I enjoyed them so much! I found (most) of the other characters likable. It didn't have any villains per say, but I did want to slap Elam upside the head and give him a good piece of my mind. I got annoyed with Cara a couple of times, too (but I can't really compare her to Elam...that guy was a jerk).
     I hadn't read the other books in this series, so I was grateful for the section at the front of the book that summarized the first books in the series. Still, I would recommend reading The Hope of Refuge and The Bridge of Peace before tackling The Harvest of Grace.
     This book was a change of pace for me from other Amish books I have read, and there were several times I raised my eyebrows and wondered if a few things were actually accurate. The attitudes of many of the characters seemed a little more "worldly" than I usually think of those of the Amish faith having (by worldly I don't mean inappropriate, just...not Amish).  I'm no expert on the Amish, though, so take my words with a grain of salt.
     Despite this, I found this book very enjoyable, and I would recommend it to any one who like Amish fiction.

Rating (out of ten): nine

I received this book for free from Waterbrook Multnomah publishers in exchange for my honest review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Follow Her Heart

An Elegant Façade

Missing